Fall is one of my favorite seasons. I love the fashion it brings, from sweaters, boots, to scarves. I love the beautiful colors it brings, from brown, red, orange, to yellow. But more than anything, I love the food that it brings and all the incredible smells you associate the fall season with. And nothing warms my soul more in the mornings when you wake up than a good cup of coffee and some decadent pancakes bursting with fall spices. But let's be real here, you can't indulge in decadent pancakes every morning even if you really wanted to. So here's my compromise...I create a quick and health pancake recipe that's inspired by the fall spices and smells. To make it even more fall inspired, you can swap out the banana for pumpkin puree. Since my household carries bananas 24/7 and all the kids love it, including my husband, it's my go to ingredient for pancakes on the fly. AND you can feel good about serving them to your kids on a weekday because it's loaded with gut healthy ancient oats!
Banana Ancient Oat Pancakes with No Sugar Added
Serving: 2 pancakes Time: 15 minutes
1 super ripe banana, smashed
1/2 cup Ancient Oats or Instant Steel Cut Oats
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon avocado oil
1 tsp vanillla extract
1 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 cup milk
Sugar Free Maple Syrup (use the real deal if you don't mind your kids having some sugar)
Smart Balance Spread (use grassfed butter for your kids)
1. Whisk all your ingredients together (egg, flour, oats, banana, vanilla, pumpkin spice, milk, oil)
2. Heat a nonstick pan to high and add a touch of avocado oil
3. Pour half of the pancake batter into the pan and cook on high for 20 seconds, then heat heat down to low and let it slowly cook for 2-3 minutes or until the top part is more set and isn't liquid
4. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side on high for 20 seconds and then turn heat back down again. Cook for 2-3 minutes
5. Plate and start on the other half of the batter.
6. Plate pancake and drizzle sugar free maple, add a slice of butter, and finish with a touch of pumpkin spice.
Now go make these fluffy guilt free pancakes for yourself, your family and kids!